Jill and Paula
“A skilled doula empowers a woman to communicate her needs and perceptions and actualize her dream of a healthy, positive birth experience.”
– Vonderheid, Kishi, Norr, & Klima, 2011
We support clients choosing to birth with any type of care provider at Lions Gate, Burnaby, and BC Womens hospitals, as well as at home.
People birth best when they feel they are in a safe and supportive environment. We offer information and support to families in all birthing situations, whether it is a scheduled c-section, induction, medicated birth, or without intervention. It is our goal that you will feel heard and respected by your chosen care team in all circumstances and situations.
Included Birth Services
When you hire Jill and Paula as your doulas, you will receive the following services:
• An initial interview with no obligation
• 2 prenatal visits (one with each doula)
• Unlimited phone/email support
• Access to an extensive lending library
• Use of an Elle TENS machine
• On call 24/7 (or able to supply reliable, qualified back-up) from the point of hiring until the birth of your baby
• 1-2 postpartum visits as desired
• An in-home infant CPR and choking lesson for you and family members, friends, or care givers (up to 10 people) through Safe Beginnings First Aid
• Use of a birth pool and accessories (including set-up and take down!) – if desired and the situation is appropriate. This can be utilized whether you are planning a home birth or hospital birth, as many people enjoy water immersion for labour before heading to the hospital.
The fee for all of these services with Jill and Paula as your primary doulas is $1500.00 + GST
Flexible payment plans are available upon request.
Reduced fees are available for repeat clients (clients who have had Jill or Paula as their doula for previous pregnancies).
Paula is a highly experienced postpartum doula who is able to assist you with your transition into having a newborn. We also work with newer postpartum doulas to help you find the best balance between helping hours and experiential knowledge within your budget.
Some examples of support could be:
– assistance with breast or bottle feeding
– support adjusting to parenthood including:
processing the birth and navigating postpartum mental health
– newborn care
– sibling support
– sleep support (day or night)
– meal preparation
– light housekeeping
– baby’s laundry
With Paula – $35/hr
With newer postpartum doula – $25-32/hr depending on day or night shift and length of contract.
Jill also collaborates with other practitioners to add additional services on to packages to best meet the needs of her clients. She has an extensive network of practitioners that she works with to find the service that best matches her clients’ needs, budget, location, and personality. Examples include:
• Professional Photography (Paula and Jill are happy to snap pictures at your birth, but don’t guarantee the quality)
• Food Preparation Services
• Placenta Encapsulation
Jill mentors newer doulas as they grow their businesses and deepen their knowledge. If you would prefer to work with a doula that has a lower fee due to less experience, Jill is happy to help you find a great fit. Mentored doulas work closely with Jill throughout their client care, and offer the same services package as Jill but at a reduced rate.
Savannah Howard is a recent graduate from Jill’s mentorship: https://savannahhoward.ca/